Dental infections, a critical concern in oral health, require immediate attention to prevent serious health consequences. At Cornerstone Dentistry, we understand the urgency and complexity of treating dental infections, offering comprehensive solutions to safeguard oral and overall health.
We are committed to providing the highest quality dental care in a comfortable, caring environment. While we strive to help you maintain excellent oral health and a beautiful, confident smile through preventative care like cleanings and checkups, dental infections can still sometimes occur despite patients’ best efforts.
Understanding Dental Infections
Dental infections, often as abscesses, occur when bacteria invade the dental pulp – the inner part of the tooth containing nerves and blood vessels. These infections can develop from:
- Untreated Cavities: Decay penetrating the enamel, and dentin can reach the pulp, resulting in infection.
- Gum Disease: Advanced periodontitis can cause gums and supporting bone infections.
- Dental Trauma: Cracks or fractures in teeth can provide a pathway for bacteria to infect the pulp.
- Previous Dental Work: Occasionally, dental procedures can inadvertently expose the pulp to bacteria.
Symptoms and Risks
Symptoms of dental infections can vary but may include:
- Throbbing toothache
- Sensitivity to hot and cold
- Swelling in the face or gums
- Fever and general malaise
If untreated, dental infections can lead to severe complications like sepsis, spread to other body parts, and damage surrounding tissues.
Treatment Options at Cornerstone Dentistry
Our approach to treating dental infections is multi-faceted and patient-focused:
- Root Canal Therapy: A primary treatment for infections within the tooth. This process entails removing the pulp that is affected, cleaning the contaminated area, and inner chamber, and sealing the tooth to prevent reinfection.
- Antibiotics: To control the infection, antibiotics may be recommended in certain instances the infection, especially if it has spread beyond the tooth.
- Tooth Extraction: When the tooth is in such a terrible condition that it cannot be saved, extraction may be necessary to remove the source of infection.
- Incision and Drainage: For abscesses, draining the pus can relieve pain and initiate healing.
Preventive Measures and Maintenance
One of the most important aspects of oral hygiene is the prevention of dental infections. We place a strong emphasis on maintaining regular dental checkups and cleanings, practicing proper oral hygiene, and receiving treatment in a timely manner in order to reduce the likelihood of acquiring cavities and gum disease infection.
Comprehensive Care and Patient Education
At Cornerstone Dentistry, we believe in a holistic approach to dental care. Oral hygiene is something that we stress to our patients and educate them on and regular dental visits in preventing infections. Our team provides comprehensive care, from diagnosis to treatment and follow-up, ensuring your dental health needs are fully met.
Our Commitment to Your Health
We have made it our mission to provide care that is both sensitive and effective for dental infections. We understand the discomfort and risks associated with these infections and are dedicated to offering the most effective treatments.
Our state-of-the-art facilities and our team’s expertise ensure we will provide you with care that is of the highest possible quality in a comfortable and supportive environment.
Dental infections require prompt and effective treatment to prevent serious health complications and maintain oral health. At Cornerstone Dentistry, we offer expert care and a range of treatment options to combat dental infections effectively.
If you are experiencing symptoms of a dental infection or have concerns about your oral health, we encourage you to contact us for a consultation. We are here to provide the care and treatment necessary to maintain a healthy, infection-free smile.